South Point schools to stay within 2011 budgetPublished 9:43am Monday, April 23, 2012
SOUTH POINT — Not much will change financially for the South Point local school district in the coming school year.
During the board of education meeting earlier this month, the board approved the estimated resources for the 2012 fiscal year.
District officials will work off the same budget as the 2011 fiscal year.
“We don’t know what we can expect next year,” Terri Baker, treasurer, said. “We don’t know what is going to come in from the state.”
Baker said the district operated within their budget last year.
“We have made some tough decisions,” Baker said. “We have watched our spending carefully. We cannot legally spend more than we have estimated resources to spend.”
To stay in their budget, school board members have made cuts in personnel and some administrative positions.
“Everybody has to watch their dollars,” Ken Cook, superintendent, said. “Every school district is struggling.”
Cook said state funding was a big problem.
“Until the state decides to do something to find a better way of funding, the schools are going to struggle,” Cook said.
School board members also accepted the resignation of high school principal John Maynard, who became principal at Ironton Elementary School.
Finally, school board members approved the 2012-2013 school year. The first day of school will begin on Aug. 17 and the school year is scheduled to end on May 22, 2013.