Accused murderer facing more chargesPublished 10:00am Friday, August 24, 2012
In the case of an Ironton woman accused of shooting and killing a man, the Lawrence County Grand Jury has returned more charges relating to the crime.
Ashley Seagraves, 23, who is listed as homeless, was indicted this week on first-degree aggravated burglary and third-degree tampering with evidence.
Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Brigham Anderson said the new charges and the murder of Delmar Jenkins are connected.
“She robbed Mr. Jenkins in the process of killing him,” Anderson said.
Seagraves allegedly took a safe from Jenkins’ home, which has since been recovered. Anderson said other evidence was also found that Seagraves had hidden.
On June 10, Seagraves allegedly shot and killed Delmar Jenkins, 53, of Elizabeth Township. After being arrested for murder, Seagraves allegedly attacked a jail matron, adding two counts of felonious assault.
Seagraves allegedly used an item she fashioned into a sharp weapon and attacked the jail matron. Seagraves also allegedly tried to choke that matron.
Last week mental evaluations were submitted into evidence that stated Seagraves was competent at the time of the murder and that she is competent to stand trial.
With the initial charges, Seagraves faced 18 years to life if convicted. With the new charges, Anderson said she faces a sentenced of 38 years to life if convicted and if all sentences run concurrently.
Seagraves remains in jail on a $1 million cash bond.
According to information from the office of Lawrence County Prosecutor J.B. Collier, Jr., other indicted this week were:
• Jerry Schrode, 28, of 89 Township Road 1013, South Point, was indicted on one count of felonious assault against his 6-month-old daughter.
Schrode is accused of severely shaking and injuring the baby, who was taken by ambulance to Cabell Huntington Hospital in Huntington, W.Va., July 29 with bleeding behind the eye and in the retina.
The child has since been released from the hospital. The mother of the child was at work when the incident occurred.
• Donald Workman, 29, of 306 Little Solida Road, South Point, and Jennifer D. Hinchman, 1129 Waco Road, Huntington, W.Va., were indicted on a count of illegal manufacture of drugs (methamphetamine).
The two were found at the home of Jan E. Bess, 47, of 276 County Road 124, Chesapeake, where sheriff’s deputies found a 2-liter soda bottle with a rubber hose wire taped to it and the ingredients such as pseudo ephedrine, camp fuel, drain cleaner and lithium batteries combined inside the bottle.
Bess was indicted on a count of complicity to illegal manufacture of drugs.
• David Laber, 40, of 152 Township Road 606, was indicted on one count of making terroristic threats against the management of Liebert Corp.
• Robert Holley, 45, of 316 Clary Hollow Road, Ashland, Ky., two counts of trafficking in a controlled substance analogue of “spice” and four counts of trafficking in drugs.
• Joseph Stevens, 35, of 3008 Rear Apartment, Huntington, W.Va., theft of a firearm.
• Marcus Birchfield, 35, of 514 N. Sixth St., Ironton, theft and criminal trespass.
• Rebecca Hogsten, 37, of 87 Township Road 343, Ironton, tampering with evidence.
• Kimberly Karnes, 45, of 1102 Sunset Terrace, Milton, W.Va., receiving stolen property.
• Jeffery Sammons II, 30, of 217 B. Township Road 1430 Apt. 5, South Point, breaking and entering at Jerry’s Pay Lake.
• Ashley Poff, 26, of 3954 County Road 55, South Point, breaking and entering at Jerry’s Pay Lake.
• David Morrison, 26, of 2328 County Road 30, Kitts Hill, breaking and entering at Jerry’s Pay Lake.
• Jason Reed, 32, of 3996 County Road 64, Willow Wood, breaking and entering and theft.
• Samuel Butler, 45, of 96 Private Drive, South Point, notice of residence address change.
• Michael Faulkner, 32, of 905 County Road 82, Kitts Hill, possession of drugs (oxycodone).
• Cecil R. W. Gordon, 29, of 455 29th St., Ashland, Ky., illegal assembly or possession of chemicals for the manufacture of drugs and possessing criminal tools.
• Brittany Sikes, 26, of 1119 Center St., Wheelersburg, illegal assembly or possession of chemicals for the manufacture of drugs and possessing criminal tools.
• Eugene Dalton, 41, of 287 Township Road 616, South Point, driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
• Jason Carpenter, 32, of 515 County Road 3, Chesapeake, felonious assault and theft.
• Christopher Douglas, 28, of 3723 Rhodes Ave., Coal Grove, trafficking in marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.
• Bruce Ward, 37, of 146 Township Road 1207, Proctorville, theft from elderly, carrying a concealed weapon and trafficking in marijuana.
• Autumn Fraback, 33, of 409 1/2 Riverside Drive, Chesapeake, burglary.
• Henry Runyon, 36, of 811 Township Road 161, South Point, possession of drugs (oxycodone).
• Billy Booth, 429 County Road 411, Proctorville, forgery and theft.