Woman gets 3 years for drug traffickingPublished 12:00am Sunday, September 1, 2013
An Ironton woman was hit with prison time and fines after admitting to selling prescription pills.
Kayla Burke, 28, of 3126 S. Fifth St., pleaded guilty Wednesday to three third-degree counts of aggravated trafficking in drugs and a fifth-degree count of possession of drugs (oxycodone).
Judge D. Scott Bowling sentenced Burke to three years in prison and ordered her to pay $16,250 in fines. Bowling also suspended the woman’s driver’s license for one year.
In an unrelated case, Joe Walden II, 30, of 19B Township Road 147, Proctorville, pleaded guilty to fifth-degree counts of possession and trafficking of heroin.
Bowling sentenced the man to 22 months in prison, a $2,500 fine and suspended his driver’s license for six months.
In other cases:
• Joseph Sharp, 23, of 1123 S. Fifth St., Ironton, was arraigned on a bill of information for third-degree theft of a firearm, to which he pleaded guilty.
Bowling set sentencing on Sept. 11 and set bond at $2,500 own-recognizance.
• Jason Elkins, 33, of 229 Township Road 1080, Waterloo, pleaded guilty to a fifth-degree charge of failure to notify change of address. Bowling set sentencing on Sept 11 and set bond at $5,000 OR.
• Angela Pruitt, 31, of 9513 State Route 217, Scottown, was arraigned on a count of fifth-degree breaking and entering, to which she pleaded not guilty.
Bowling continued bond from a lower court and set a pretrial for Sept. 11.
• Terren Jenkins, 21, of 258 Private Road 4649, Ironton, pleaded guilty to a fifth-degree count of failure to register. Bowling sentenced the man to four years community control sanctions under intensive supervised probation and 200 hours community service.
• Marc Bond, 38, of 993 Kramer Ave., Columbus, pleaded guilty to two fifth-degree counts of forgery. Bowling sentenced the man to four years CCS, 200 hours community service and ordered him to complete the program at the STAR Community Justice Center.
• Lennis Christopher Adkins, 43, of 1358 Cannonsburg Road, Ashland, Ky., was arraigned on a count of fourth-degree theft by deception, to which he pleaded not guilty. Judge Charles Cooper set bond at $25,000 OR.
• Timothy Powell II, 42, of 227 County Road 407, South Point, tested positive for cocaine, marijuana and oxycodone at his pre-trial drug screening. Cooper doubled the man’s bond to $50,000 cash or surety.
• Christine Parker, 42, of 1265D Cedar Crest Drive, Huntington, W.Va., pleaded guilty to an amended count of fourth-degree receiving stolen property. The charge was lowered from a second-degree count of complicity to burglary.
Cooper sentenced the woman to 15 months in prison.
• Karrie Turpin, 39, of 11709 State Route 243, Chesapeake, admitted CCS violations and was sentenced to 21 months in prison.
• Margaret Sparks, 32, of 1603 Luci Mae Drive, Flatwoods, Ky., pleaded guilty to a fifth-degree count of possession of drugs. Cooper set sentencing for Wednesday.