Archived Story

Carbon monoxide exposure increases

Published 9:58am Monday, November 4, 2013

COLUMBUS (AP) — Ohio officials are drawing attention to the dangers of carbon monoxide exposure after a higher than usual annual increase in emergency room visits and poison-control calls related to the colorless, odorless gas.

The Ohio Department of Health and State Fire Marshal say restarting a furnace that’s been idle or increased usage of generators and portable heating devices may help explain the trend.

 

They suggest these safety tips:

• Install a battery-powered CO detector in your home and check it every six months.

• Have your heating system, water heater and other gas, oil and coal-burning appliances serviced annually.

• Never run a car inside a garage attached to the house.

• Never heat your house with a gas oven.

Editor's Picks

Special needs camp teaches bike-riding

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. — The father didn’t want anyone to see, so he tried to casually brush them away. But the tears that welled in his ... Read more

Antique equipment shows off history

Ohio lies in a unique position within the United States, with part of the state situated in the Mid-West and the southeastern portion of the ... Read more

Unexpected heroes

Passersby help people trapped in burning house   Heroes don’t always wear capes, uniforms or badges. They aren’t always scanning the skies, or roaming alleyways ... Read more

Rescuer tries to save orphaned fawn

ROME TOWNSHIP — A hunter taking a deer out of season Monday afternoon left two orphans — one apparently lost to the woods and the ... Read more  | 2 comments