Archived Story

Selig may have role for Rose at next ASG

Published 1:49am Wednesday, July 16, 2014

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Pete Rose may have a role to play in next year’s All-Star game in Cincinnati despite his lifetime ban from baseball.

The career hits leader generally is not allowed in any areas of major league ballparks not open to fans. But the former Reds star was allowed to participate in baseball’s All-Century team ceremony at Atlanta’s Turner Field during the 1999 World Series and was permitted to be on the field at Great American Ballpark in 2010 for a ceremony commemorating the 25th anniversary of his record-setting 4,192nd hit.

He also was on the field in Cincinnati last September for the unveiling of a bronze sculpture honoring Hall of Fame teammate Joe Morgan.

The Reds host the 2015 All-Star game on July 14, and Commissioner Bud Selig left open the possibility Rose could play a part.

“That will be up to the Cincinnati club, and they know what they can do and can’t do,” Selig told the Baseball Writers’ Association of America on Tuesday. “It’s sort of been subjective. But they’ve done some things with Pete, but they’ve been very, very thoughtful and limited. But that’s a subject that I’m sure they’ll discuss in the next year.”

Rose, who famously bowled over catcher Ray Fosse to win the 1970 All-Star game at Cincinnati’s Riverfront Stadium, agreed to the lifetime ban in August 1989 following an investigation by Major League Baseball that concluded he bet on the Reds to win while managing the team. He applied for reinstatement in September 1997 and met with Selig in November 2002.

Selig, who plans to retire in January, has never ruled on Rose’s application.

“It’s under advisement. My standard line,” Selig said. “I’m the judge and that’s where it will stay. Nothing new in that statement, I understand.”

Now 73, Rose admitted in a 2004 autobiography that his previous gambling denials were false.

Last month, he managed the Bridgeport Bluefish for one game in the independent Atlantic League.

The Tribune believes it is possible for people with a variety of points of view to discuss issues in a civil manner and will remove comments that, in our opinion, foster incivility. We want to encourage an open exchange of information and ideas. Responsibility for what is posted or contributed to this site is the sole responsibility of each user. By contributing to this website, you agree not to post any defamatory, abusive, harassing, obscene, sexual, threatening or illegal material, or any other material that infringes on the ability of others to enjoy this site, or that infringes on the rights of others. Any user who feels that a contribution to this website is a violation of these terms of use is encouraged to email report-comments@irontontribune.com, or click the "report comment" link that is on all comments. We reserve the right to remove messages that violate these terms of use and we will make every effort to do so — within a reasonable time frame — if we determine that removal is necessary.

Editor's Picks

Apple butter on sale to benefit Shop With a Cop

SOUTH POINT — Law enforcement agencies in Lawrence County have kicked off the annual apple butter fundraiser for the Shop With a Cop program. Every year, ... Read more