• 39°

Redmen stand up to Pointers pressure

Time and time again this season the Redmen have held off opponents at the goal line late in the game to preserve a victory.

Saturday, October 16, 1999

Time and time again this season the Redmen have held off opponents at the goal line late in the game to preserve a victory.

Friday night was no exception as the Redmen knocked off Ohio Valley Conference foe South Point 20-19.

South Point, 2-6 2-1, scored with 3:52 left in the game and lined up for a kick that would tie the game. The Pointers then called timeout and lined up for a two-point conversion.

A hole opened briefly for Justin Eaches but it closed just as fast and he was dropped on the 1-yard line.

"The character of this football team has been tested all year," Redmen coach Andy Hall said. "We have had some close games and came out ahead in most of them."

Rock Hill, 6-2 2-1, ran off 60 plays on the ground for 343 yards and were led by Richie Webb with 137 yards on 17 carries and Scott Turley rushed for 112 yards on 24 tries.

South Point had 312 yard total yards with quarterback Jarrod Smith throwing for 134 yards hitting seven of 16 passes on the night. David Chapman led in rushing with 70 yards.

"I’m very proud of the way we fought back," Pointers coach Chris Watts said. "We could have given up when they went ahead 20-7 but we hung in there and had a chance to win the game."

Another player who had a big game for the Pointers was receiver Willie Anderson. He caught four passes for 161 yards and two touchdowns.

Rock Hill opened the game by driving to the 26-yard line before Webb was stopped short on fourth down.

When the Redmen got the ball back it was at the South Point 37-yard line. Three plays later Webb busted loose, shrugged off a pair of tacklers and took it in for the touchdown making it 6-0 with 3:30 left in the first quarter.

Midway through the second quarter the Pointers drove 10 plays to the Redmen 9-yard line. On first down the handoff was dropped and the Redmen recovered.

Rock took its opening drive of the second half to the 28-yard line before fumbling it away.

On the next play Shane Holsinger threw a halfback pass to Anderson who caught it in traffic and took it 65 yards for the score and took the lead on the point after.

The Redmen came right back and took it 89 yards in 13 plays for another score. The drive was hampered by four procedure penalties by the Redmen. Turley got took it from the 18-yard line to the goal line where he stretched the ball across the plane.

Kevin Dilley ran for the two-point conversion making it 14-7.

South Point turned the ball over three plays later giving the Redmen the ball just 34 yards from another score.

Four plays later Johnny Webb took it in from 10 yards out giving the Redmen a 20-7 lead with 11:05 left to play.

South Point’s offense took it up a notch scoring twice in just over five minutes.

A 53-yard seven play drive ended when Smith took a quarterback sneak for a yard and a touchdown. The kick was wide leaving the score at 20-13 with 8:33 left.

Again it appeared Rock Hill was about to put the game away by driving to the 13-yard line but the drive stalled there.

With 5:44 left the Pointers needed to go 89 yards for a score. Four plays later and Smith, falling down lofted a pass to Anderson. The Rock Hill defender slipped leaving Anderson wide open for a 73-yard romp making it 20-19 and setting up the failed two-point conversion.

Rock Hill picked up two first downs and ran the clock out.