• 55°

Family loses home to fire

An early morning electrical fire has left one Ironton family homeless and with few personal possessions.

Tuesday, October 26, 1999

An early morning electrical fire has left one Ironton family homeless and with few personal possessions.

Tim Watson, who rented the home at 611 Lawrence St. from Verlene Anderson, reported smoke coming from the attic and one bedroom at about 7:30 Tuesday morning, Ironton Fire Department Capt. Craig Thomas said.

When Ironton firefighters arrived on the scene, they discovered a ceiling joist had been destroyed when it caught on fire in the attic, Thomas said.

"The cause was electrical," he said. "The house had an older type of wiring – knob and spool – and the fire burnt through the beam."

Nothing could have been done to prevent or predict the fire, which caused an estimated $5,000 in damages to the attic and one bedroom, Thomas said.

And the structure will be unlivable until the ceiling joist is replaced and the building is repaired, he added.

"We’ve pulled the electricity and gas," Thomas said.

The Watsons, who have two children – a 5-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter – did not have renter’s insurance, Thomas said.

"I think they saved some of their clothes, but they will be contacting Red Cross," he said.

Anyone who would like to help the Watsons or donate clothing items may contact Crystal Watson at 533-3624.

Responding firefighters included Thomas, Lt. Jack Delong, inspector Jim Monte and firefighters Louie Sheridan, Vince Hasenauer and Joe Stevens.

There were no injuries reported, and the fire scene was cleaned up by 9:30 a.m.