• 54°

Fires damage trailer, home

Fire destroyed one Lawrence County home and damaged another Tuesday.

Wednesday, September 20, 2000

Fire destroyed one Lawrence County home and damaged another Tuesday.

Dispatchers called out Chesapeake Volunteer Fire Department at 11:18 a.m. to a mobile home at 558 Township Road 278 South, just outside of Chesapeake.

The home, owned by Ruth Thacker, was fully in flames when volunteers arrived and was a total loss, fire chief Gary Maynard said.

Reports indicated the fire started because of an electrical problem.

Fire crews became concerned when they arrived because residents reported oxygen tanks were located inside the burning trailer, Maynard said.

Firefighters likely got enough water to that area in time because the tanks did not explode, he said.

"We did save some personal belongings and pictures but the trailer was a total loss," Maynard said.

No injuries were reported, although the owner and several family members lost their home, he said.

The American Red Cross has been notified, he said.

Hours later, a late afternoon fire several miles out County Road 30 sent Lawrence Township Volunteer Fire Department Crews to a burning mobile home owned by Ronnie Webb, fire chief Phil Hardy said.

The fire apparently started on the stove and flames were spotted coming out a side vent on the trailer by Webb and a neighbor, who called the department and grabbed a water hose, Hardy said.

"They kept the damage down until we got there and put it out," he said.

The mobile home suffered only smoke damage throughout and structural damage in the kitchen, Hardy said.