• 43°

Recently-installed smoke alarm saves apartment, fire chief says

Ironton firemen and one local resident reaped the award from one project.

Saturday, February 16, 2002

Ironton firemen and one local resident reaped the award from one project.

A house fire started early Thursday morning, at about 3 a.m., in the apartment of George Lewis located at 2221 S. Sixth St.

The smoke alarm the fire department installed at the apartment about six months ago was enough to wake Lewis up so he could call the fire department and leave the residence.

Fire Chief Tom Runyon said the fire started because of a wiring problem in the clothes dryer in Lewis’ apartment. Runyon said the fire spread up the wall and into a small attic space. Firemen were able to contain the fire in the attic causing little damage to the apartment.

The apartment is owned by Mike McKee.