• 48°

Man takes own life after shootout

Local law enforcement officers engaged in a shootout with a Lawrence County man Monday that ended

when the man fatally shot himself in the chest.

At 8:09 a.m., a 911 call reported that John Sloan was firing shots into the home of his daughter and son-in-law at 1849 Taylor Ridge Road (County Road 171) in Windsor Township.

A Proctorville Police officer arrived at 8:20 a.m. and was immediately

fired upon. One round struck the officer’s vehicle.

Officers from the Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office, the Chesapeake, Coal Grove and Ironton police departments and the Lawrence County Drug Task Force responded to the call.

During the time of the shooting, there were five people, including three children ages five to six, hiding inside the home. The officers responding faced a very dangerous situation and responded professionally and through their actions innocent lives were protected, Sheriff Tim W. Sexton said, in a news release.

After being fired upon by Sloan, police personnel fired three shots at the suspect. The suspect was not hit, according to reports from the sheriff’s office.

I commend the officers, dispatchers and all the

personnel that responded, Sexton told The Tribune.

We are thankful to the good Lord there were not any innocent lives lost or injury to the officers.

The coroner pronounced the suspect deceased at the scene from a self-inflicted gunshot to the chest at approximately 8:46 a.m. The body was taken by Hall Funeral Home, and Sexton has requested an autopsy be performed

in Franklin County.

Sloan was armed with a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun and at least 20 spent bullet casings were found. It is unknown how many times he reloaded, Sexton said.

Prior to the shooting, Sloan allegedly went to his wife’s home and physically assaulted her.

She is in stable condition at a local hospital.

He also may have attempted to set the residence on fire, Sheriff Sexton said, but these reports could not be confirmed.

I think everyone involved did what they had to do, Deputy Jerry Elliott, the second officer on the scene, said. The people inside did not get hurt.

An investigation is on-going. Michael Caldwell/The Ironton Tribune