Weight-loss drug cause of McCorcle#8217;s death
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, July 3, 2007
Autopsy results show a man who died earlier this year after being taken to the Lawrence County Jail suffered from the effects of a weight loss drug.
Lawrence County Sheriff Tim Sexton said a forensic autopsy conducted by the Franklin County Cor-oner’s Office showed Char-les McCorcle, 38, of 1045 N. Fifth St, died of cardiopulmonary arrest “due to toxic to lethal concentrations” of the drug phentermine.
“There was no sign of trauma,” Sexton said. “Of course, when this happened we asked for an outside agency to investigate and it was investigated, thoroughly.”
Email newsletter signup
McCorcle was brought to the jail by Ironton police Jan. 21 following a disturbance in his neighborhood.
McCorcle and his wife, Victoria, also 38, were each charged with disorderly conduct. At the jail, authorities noticed he had problems breathing and there was discoloration to his face and skin. Emergency medical services personnel were called and McCorcle was taken to an area hospital where he died a few days later.
Marketed under the brand names Adipex, Ionamin and
Phentrol, the National Institutes of Health lists possible and more serious side effects of phentermine as increased blood pressure, heart palpitations, restlessness, dizziness, tremor, insomnia, shortness of breath, chest pain and dizziness.