Judge sets Wilcox bond at $10M

Published 11:01 am Friday, June 12, 2009

CHESAPEAKE — It will take $10 million for Tom Wilcox to get out of jail.

Wilcox, 38, of Ironton, was arraigned Friday in Lawrence County Municipal Court on charges stemming from the April 29 attack on his estranged wife, Amy Wilcox, who died from her injuries Friday evening.

Tom Wilcox stood with his chin down as Judge Donald R. Capper read the list of charges against him: felonious assault, aggravated burglary, aggravated arson and the most serious of all, attempt to commit aggravated murder. All are first-degree felonies except for the felonious assault charge. The charges are expected to be modified to murder.

Email newsletter signup

Capper asked if Wilcox understood the charges and if he had hired a lawyer.

“I tried but I couldn’t get one to take my case,” Wilcox said in a low voice. Capper asked if Wilcox had any savings and could he afford to hire an attorney. Wilcox said he had some money saved but because he is not working at this time, Capper appointed Mike Gleichauf to represent Wilcox and scheduled a preliminary hearing for 2 p.m. June 19. He then asked Emily Laube of the Ohio Attorney General’s Office for her recommendation on bond.

“Because of the severity of the crimes, we recommend $10 million,” Laube replied. Capper told Wilcox he could post the $10 million as either cash or surety.

The attempted murder charge carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine; the assault charge carries of maximum penalty of eight years in prison and a $15,000 fine; the aggravated burglary charge carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a $20,00 fine; the arson charge carries a 10 year prison sentence and a $20,000 fine.

Wilcox appeared in a grey and white stripe jail uniform under heavy security. Before the arraignment began, Bailiff Janet Woodard twice admonished those in the courtroom to refrain from any outbursts during the proceeding.

Wilcox is accused of going to his estranged wife’s Perry Township house and assaulting her and then setting a fire. Amy Wilcox died from her injuries Friday. Tom Wilcox was hospitalized in Louisville, Ky., after the incident but was discharged from the hospital last week. He was first taken to a detention center in Louisville but then brought to Lawrence County earlier this week.

The Wilcox case was supposed to have been presented to the grand jury this week but that was postponed.