• 64°

Memorial Hall video to help worthy project

The Memorial Hall Restoration Project is an ongoing and noble endeavor spearheaded by the American Legion Post 433.

Memorial Hall was opened on Sept. 22, 1892, and was built by and for the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.).

The G.A.R. was comprised of Union Civil War veterans and the structure served venerably as a veterans’ meeting place, library and reliquary.

When the American Legion was formed after the first World War, the officers of the G.A.R. invited the new veterans to make their headquarters in the rooms of the Memorial Hall and that offer was immediately accepted.

Today, the American Legion is involved in the restoration of this magnificent edifice. One of the ways that you can help Post 433 is to purchase the Veterans Memorial Hall Restoration Fund video, entitled “A Soldier’s Journey,” which tells the story of the Grand Memorial Hall.

These videos can be purchased from any Legion member or at Unger Shoe Store, 304 South Third St., Ironton.

Please help keep this historic structure alive.

Joe Unger, Ironton