• 61°

Fire destroys camper, trailer

At 8:22 a.m. Tuesday, a fire was reported on Township Road 1336, which ultimately destroyed a camper and a trailer and damaged a neighboring house.

Burlington-Fayette Township, South Point, Proctorville and Chesapeake Volunteer fire departments responded to the fire.

Early reports indicated the fire started in the camper, and then spread to the trailer at 84 Township Road 1337. The fire then spread to the neighboring house at 19 Township Road 1336, damaging the home. The camper and trailer were destroyed. No injuries were reported.

“It looks like it could possibly be a portable heater, but it is still under investigation,” said Burlington-Fayette Township Fire Chief Carl Kleinman.

Kleinman offered some advice for anyone using a space heater inside a home.

“Read the directions and keep the heater at a distance from things, just as the manufacturer says,” he said. “Keep vigil over those things.”

While there were no injuries or fatalities in this fire, that isn’t always the case.

So far this year, eight people have died from heating-related fires in Ohio and 22 people have been injured. Twenty-one Ohio firefighters have also been injured this year.

In an effort to lessen the number of fires, the Ohio Division of State Fire Marshal issued a press release containing the following safety tips for when potable space heaters are used:

When buying a space heater, look for a control feature that automatically shuts off the power if the heater falls over.

Never leave a heater on when you are not in the room or when you go to sleep, and do not leave children or pets unattended around any heating source. Unplug the heater when you are not using it.

Don’t use an extension cord with an electric portable heater. The current to the heater could melt the cord and cause a fire.

Don’t plug more than one heating device into an outlet.

Never use electric heaters near water – as in your bathroom or near a water heater.