• 50°

Man accused of stealing from bank pleads guilty


A Proctorville man accused of stealing more than $4,000 from a local bank pleaded guilty to that and other charges Wednesday in Lawrence County Common Pleas Court.

Robert Gorby, 57, of 58 Township Road 1057, Proctorville admitted he took the money from Ohio River Bank in December 2011; he also pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor theft charge stemming from a different incident at Walmart in Burlington and a felony intimidation charge stemming from a third incident involving his probation officer.

Judge D. Scott Bowling sentenced Gorby to 36 months in prison but said Gorby could be granted judicial release, or an early exit, if he stays out of trouble and obeys all the rules while he is in prison.

Gorby told the court the incident at the bank was a mistake.

“I asked for $100 and she gave me an envelope with $4,000 in it,” Gorby told Bowling. At the time of his arrest, authorities said Gorby walked into the bank and over to a teller cage where a teller had counted and stacked the money Gorby was accused of taking. The teller had left the money at the cage unattended and Gorby took a stack of the money. Approximately $2,000 of the $4,500 Gorby is accused of taking was later recovered at his home, authorities said. The money reportedly even still had the bank straps on it.

After he was arrested, Gorby was placed on electronically monitored home confinement through Lawrence County Municipal Court.

When he cut the ankle strap on his monitor, probation officer Steve Holbrook investigated and, according to court documents, found a less-than-cooperative individual. Gorby explained to Bowling he “never thought when I cut the strap the monitor would go off.” Gorby asked Bowling to release him from jail.

“I feel like I’ve spent enough time in jail. Why can’t I have enough sense to leave my monitor on?” Gorby asked. He did explain he had been on klonipin and ativan (medications) to control his bipolar disorder and tends to exercise poor judgment when he does not take his medication.

“I’m very sorry for all the crimes, very sorry,” Gorby said.

Also Wednesday, Teresa Wicker, 51, of 484 Township Road 44, Ironton, pleaded guilty to one count of felonious assault. She was sentenced to four years in prison. She was arrested after beating her boyfriend with a heavy glass ashtray, a wound that needed 70 stitches, authorities said.

Trent Finley, 24, of 229 Township Road 1301, Chesapeake, pleaded guilty to one felony count of theft and one misdemeanor count of theft.

Bowling allowed Finley to seek treatment in lieu of conviction. This is an infrequently used procedure whereby the person accused of a crime pleads guilty but his punishment is delayed to allow him or her to seek drug or alcohol treatment. So long as the person follows the rules and is successfully treated for the addiction, the punishment is delayed; if the person does not do as ordered, the punishment is then levied.

Treatment in lieu of conviction is used only in certain specific circumstances. The person cannot be a previous offender and cannot have been accused of a first, second or third-degree felony.

In another matter, George Wicker, 57, of 119 N. Fourth St., Ironton, pleaded guilty to charges of grand theft (a Dodge flatbed truck and trailer), vandalism and breaking and entering.

The victim in all of the charges was Wilson Supply Co. in Ironton.

Bowling sentenced Wicker to four years community control sanctions under intensive supervised probation. Wicker must also successfully complete a treatment program at the STAR Community Justice Center, perform 200 hours of community service and pay $2,568.95 restitution.