• 52°

Fire claims two-story home

ELIZABETH TOWNSHIP — Despite the efforts of six volunteer fire departments, a two-story home in Elizabeth Township is considered a total loss.

Firefighters were called to the residence at the intersection of County Roads 605 and 27 Friday evening at about 9:30 p.m.

“It appears to have started with an electrical problem,” Elizabeth Township Volunteer Fire Department Chief Dale Waugh said. “It looks like it started from a light switch in hallway.”

The occupants of the home, a woman and her 13-year-old son, were not injured.

Waugh said his crew and crews from Upper, Hamilton, Green and Decatur townships and the village of Coal Grove battled the blaze for nearly 12 hours.

Waugh said the firefighters left at about 3 a.m. and were back by 8 a.m. and stayed until about 1:30 p.m.

The Red Cross was also on hand to provide the home’s residents with support, as well as the firefighters.

“They brought sandwiches and drinks for the firefighters,” Waugh said.

The Lawrence County EMS also provided medical assistance and cool rags for the firefighters.

One firefighter from Green Township received minor burns to his back and arm after he tripped and fell backwards.

Waugh also said he wanted to thank area residents for supporting all the fire crews while they fought the blaze.

“There were several residents that carried water, ice water and kept plenty of water for us,” Waugh said. “They helped greatly. … Those are good people down in there.”