• 50°

House fire in Pedro ruled arson

PEDRO — A July 29 fire in Pedro has been ruled an arson, according to the Ohio Division of State Fire Marshal. Investigators are looking into possible connections between that fire and one that happened nearby.

The arson fire was reported at about 5 a.m. at 64 Private Drive 12386 off State Route 93 in Decatur Township.

Decatur Township Volunteer Fire Department Chief Gene Cox said a crew from Elizabeth Township VFD assisted his firefighters.

Cox said, upon his investigation of the scene, he found tires under the home.

“It appeared to be a set fire with someone inside,” Cox said.

Cox said the woman who was home was alerted by her dog that something was wrong. The smoke detector also went off and the woman called her neighbors, who helped by bring their garden hose to spray the flames.

“The fire was contained to one room fortunately,” Cox said.

Because the investigation is ongoing, specific details of how and where the fire started have not been released.

Shane Cartmill, public information officer for the state fire marshal’s office, said another fire that was reported the same morning is also being investigated for possible arson. It has been ruled undetermined at this time.

That fire was reported at about 6:17 a.m. at 5580 State Route 93, Pedro, less than seven miles from the other home. The house was vacant and under renovation. There were no injuries and the house suffered minimal damage.

“The two fires are being investigated separately,” Cartmill said. “But, again, given their close proximity in address and time, the investigators will look at any possible connections between the two.”

The agency is asking anyone with information about these fires to call 1-800-589-2728.

The state fire marshal’s office also investigated the cause and origin of a house fire in Chesapeake.

That fire was reported at about 2:30 a.m. at 178 Township Road 1043.

Fire investigators determined the fire started in a void space in the southwest corner of the home above the kitchen and below a child’s bedroom.

The family of five was able to get out of the house without injury but the rear of the home suffered heavy fire and water damage.