Grand jury to hear rape case

Published 12:33 am Sunday, September 9, 2012

Will also consider assault on bus driver


CHESAPEAKE — A South Point man accused of rape will have his case heard by a Lawrence County Grand Jury.

William M. Morrison, 37, of 140 Private Drive 2482 County Road 1, waived his right to a preliminary hearing Friday in Lawrence County Municipal Court.

Email newsletter signup

Morrison is charged with the first-degree rape of an underage female family member.

At the man’s arraignment Aug. 31, bond was set at $150,000 and a restraining order to protect the victim was ordered. Morrison’s attorney is J.T. Holt.

Morrison remains in the Lawrence County Jail.

Morrison was arrested in late August after he, accompanied by attorney Chris Delawder, turned himself in to detectives.

According Lawrence County Sheriff Jeff Lawless, the alleged victim in the case called her father Sunday and said she had been raped by Morrison at the man’s home.

When the girl’s father went to the Morrison residence, Morrison allegedly fled in a vehicle. A warrant for rape was issued for him.

The woman accused of assaulting a Fairland school district bus driver also made a court appearance Friday.

Jamie L. Qualls, of 30, of 3840 County Road 12, Proctorville, also waived her right to a preliminary hearing and agreed to have her case sent to the grand jury.

Qualls faces charges of fourth-degree disrupting a public service and fifth-degree felonious assault. Misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct charges were dismissed when she waived to the grand jury.

The woman was arraigned Tuesday and bond was set at $20,000. Attorney Luke Styer was appointed to the case.

Qualls remains in jail.

On Aug. 31, Qualls allegedly entered a school bus and began to curse the driver, accusing him of not waiting for her children to board. She also allegedly struck the driver twice in the face.

The driver ordered Qualls to get off the bus and when he tried to radio for help, Qualls allegedly grabbed his microphone out of his hand and struck him again before allegedly assaulting a 10-year old boy who was also riding the bus.