Drug offenders indicted
Two men arrested by the Lawrence Drug and Major Crimes Task Force were indicted this week by a grand jury.
Richard L. Sharp, 51, of 1014 1/2 N. Third St., Ironton, and Paul E. McMackin, 55, of 201 Compliment St., Coal Grove, were each charged with selling Alpha-PVP, a synthetic stimulant.
Sharp was indicted on two fifth-degree counts of trafficking in drugs and a fifth-degree count of permitting drug abuse. McMackin was indicted on one fourth- and three fifth-degree counts of trafficking in drugs.
Each was arraigned and denied charges Wednesday in Lawrence County Common Pleas Judge D. Scott Bowling’s courtroom.
Bond for Sharp was set at $25,000 cash or surety and $25,000 own-recognizance plus GPS monitoring. He is also expected to return to court on Friday for a probation violation hearing.
Bond for McMackin was set at $10,000 cash or surety and $10,000 OR plus GPS monitoring. A pretrial was set for June 10.
The two men were arrested May 13 following an investigation into the sale of Alpha-PVP. According to a press release from prosecuting attorney Brigham Anderson’s office, the arrests occurred at Sharp’s residence. During the investigation leading up to the arrests, Sharp and McMackin allegedly sold Alpha-PVP to a confidential informant on several occasions during April while at Sharp’s residence. Two others were also arrested, but were not indicted this week.
In an unrelated case Douglas N. Price Jr., 32, of 2205 N. Sixth St., Ironton, was indicted on six counts of fourth-degree trafficking in heroin, all counts claiming Price sold the drug within the vicinity of a school.
He will be arraigned at a future date.
Anderson’s office also filed the following indictments this week:
• Michael R. Abshire, 36, of 1677 Sixth Ave. Apt. 7, Huntington, theft of a motor vehicle, theft;
• Misty Moore, 25, of 695 Patties Lick Road, Morehead, Kentucky, theft;
• John D. Large, 35, of 26 Private Drive 1633 County Road 59, Chesapeake, possession controlled substances;
• Misty Callicoat, 40, of 623 Cliff St., Ironton, driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
• Tony Wilson II, 24, of 2477 County Road 48, Waterloo, offenses involving counterfeit controlled substance;
• Thomas Hardy, 48, 102 Carey Drive, Coal Grove, assault on a peace officer, aggravated menacing;
• Jason B. Collier, 30, of 48 Private Drive 2600, Chesapeake, theft of drugs, theft;
• Brad Cain, 40, of 81 Township Road 1043 Apt. 13, Chesapeake, burglary; and
• Jaymond M. W. Estes, 21, of Adams Avenue, Huntington, identify fraud, forgery.
An indictment is a formal allegation that an individual has committed a crime. The accused are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.