Solid waste district announces 2017 events
Several annual Lawrence-Scioto Solid Waste District events are already set for this year, following a successful 2016 campaign, which saw record numbers on numerous occasions. All events are from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
• March 27-March 31: Shawnee Park Cleanup. To register, call 740-858-6652.
• April 7: Scioto County Drug Take Back Day at the Scioto County Sheriff’s Department parking lot.
• April 8: Lawrence County Drug Take Back Day at Ironton Hills Plaza.
• May 6: Lawrence Countywide Cleanup Day at various locations throughout the county beginning at 9 a.m.
• May 12: Scioto County E-Waste/Document Shred Day at the Valley Wholesale Foods parking lot in Portsmouth.
• May 13: Lawrence County E-Waste/Document Shred Day at Ironton Hills Plaza.
• June 17: Ohio River Sweep at various locations throughout Lawrence and Scioto Counties.
Last year’s pharmaceutical collection results from the two Drug Take Back Days were 110 lbs. of pills, 32 lbs. of sharps and syringes and 30 lbs. of liquid meds collected from 66 vehicles in Scioto County and 65 lbs. of pills, 110 lbs. of sharps and syringes and 30 lbs. of liquid meds collected from 50 vehicles in Lawrence County.
On last year’s E-Waste/Shred Days, a total of 280 vehicles came through the events from both counties, with totals of 13,400 lbs. of documents shredded and 5,300 lbs. of E-Waste disposed.
The district’s largest program, the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) event that is conducted at Dow Chemical in Haverhill, is only conducted on a two-year basis. The next HHW event will not be until 2018.
District director Dan Palmer said the district also had a successful Christmas Tree Recycling program this year, collecting 238 trees, which will be deposited for fish habitat at Lake Vesuvius sometime this spring. The district partnered with the U.S. Forestry Service to offer the program to residents.