Ready to go
Burlington Elementary hosts kindergarten open house
BURLINGTON — Next year’s kindergarten class got a preview of what to expect when they start school at Burlington Elementary in August.
The school hosted a kindergarten open house Tuesday, giving parents the opportunity to register their children for classes, meet teachers and faculty and tour the classrooms.
“The county health department is here and we have a school bus outside,” principal Sarah Nuckols, who was working the registration table, along with assistant principal Michael Clay, said.
Rick Mitchell, a school bus driver for the district, was on hand to give the children a look at the bus, parked in front of the school.
“I show them what it looks like, what to expect, tell them some of the rules from the bus and answer parent questions,” he said.
Burlington has three kindergarten classrooms, with about 20-25 students each, taught by Stacie Rutherford, Lela Petrie and Diane Lawson.
“We’re here today to basically answer any questions,” Rutherford said, as parents introduced next year’s students to them.
Nuckols said that parents who missed the open house may still register students until the start of classes.
Children must be five years old by Aug. 1 in order to attend kindergarten in Ohio public schools.
In addition to Burlington, other schools in Lawrence County have kindergarten registration events planned:
• Ironton City Schools will host a kindergarten health fair and registration at Ironton Elementary on Tuesday, April 11, from 5-8 p.m. Parents are asked to bring the child’s birth certificate, Social Security card, proof of residency, custody or guardianship documents (if applicable) and immunization record. If the child has had a physical completed in the last year, parents are asked to bring a copy.
Staff at the fair will be doing immunization records, physicals with pre-physical screening, vision screenings, hearing, speech screenings, consultations with teachers and nurses and presenting readiness and goodies bags.
• South Point Elementary will host kindergarten registration on April 11, from 6-7:30 p.m. at the school. Parents must bring the child’s birth certificate with the state seal, Social Security card, immunization records, and any custody order or decree that may apply.
• Dawson-Bryant Elementary will host kindergarten registration on April 11-12, from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. and 5–6:30 p.m. Parents must bring the child’s birth certificate with the state seal, Social Security card, immunization records, and any custody order or decree that may apply. There will be a short parent meeting at 5 p.m. to answer questions, as well as activities and dinner for incoming kindergarten students and families.
• Fairland East Elementary will host kindergarten registration, by appointment only, on April 13, from 1-6:30 p.m., and May 4, from 12:30 -6 p.m. Parents are asked to bring the child’s original birth certificate with seal, Social Security card, custody documents (if applicable) and immunization records. Parents should also provide proof of residency, a copy of their driver’s license and a utility bill in their name.
• Symmes Valley Elementary will host registration the first week of May, from 8:30 a.m.-2p.m., daily. Parents are asked to bring the child’s birth certificate, immunization records, proof of residency, Social Security card, and custody documents (if applicable.)
CHESAPEAKE — Chesapeake Officer Aaron Christian, who died of injuries received in a cruiser crash last year, is set to... read more