Heating assistance available from CAO
The winter season is upon us. The Ironton and Lawrence County Area CAO will begin the Winter Crisis Program on November 1, 2018. The agency can assist with your main heating source cost through a one-time payment to your utility company, wood, coal, or bottled gas.
In order to process your application quickly and efficiently, please be prepared to provide all needed documents. Keep in mind that other requirements may be asked of you. This cuts down on the time spent in the interview process and return visits. The necessary documents are as follows:
• Proof of gross income for all household members 18 or older for the last 30 days except for self-employment and seasonal income.
• Self-employed households must provide 12 months of income documentation and a copy of the most recent wage and income transcript and record of account transcript tax forms supporting self-employment or partnerships.
• Seasonal employed households must provide 12 months of income documentation. If paystubs are not available, the employee may request the employer to complete a seasonal employment verification form. (Please visit website at: www.ilcao.org to download form.)
• If you attend college or technical school an award letter may be required showing tuition, grant and scholarship amounts for most recent semester/quarter.
• If a non-household member is providing income for the household then a signed statement from that person must be obtained (how much/ how often and whether it is a gift/loan). A name, phone number and address for this person must be provided
• If your household’s total income is zero income or is completely listed as odd jobs or other income, then an IRS tax transcript may be required and documentation of how the household is being supported and expenses/bills are being met (you may contact the IRS at: 1-800-908-9946 or you may visit the website at: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get- Transcript
• Proof from Job and Family Services, cash assistance, child support, and food stamps
• Proof of citizenship for all household members, example: birth certificate, voter registration card, passport, etc.
• Birthdates and Social Security cards for each household member
• Heating bill/bulk fuel account number
• Electric bill with account number
• Photo ID
• If you are a disabled client please provide documentation of disability.
The HEAP Department is located in the Ohio Means Jobs building at 120 N. Third St., Ironton. You may park on 2nd Street or in the back parking lot. To schedule an appointment call (740)-532-3140 and choose option 1. Please have all utility/vendor account numbers ready to include in your message. Questions should be addressed to (740)-532-3140, ext. 12219 or 12207.
Please be advised if you are 15 minutes late for your appointment, you will have to reschedule. This may affect your disconnect date and you may be disconnected. A household may only have one appointment hold throughout the winter crisis program for metered utilities. There will also be emergency walk-ins beginning at 7:30 a.m. The requirements for walk-ins are strict. Below are the 2018-2019 income guidelines.