Primary Election 2020 Candidate Questionnaires – Sheriff
• Office sought: Sheriff
• Party: Republican. I have always been a Republican
• Age: 55
• Residence: Ironton
• Professional background: I began my law enforcement career in 1986 at the sheriff’s office. I have been a corrections officer, deputy, corporal, certified jail administrator, major, chief deputy and sheriff. I spent eight years with Lockheed Martin at the atomic plant (…).
• Occupation: I am the sheriff of Lawrence County. I have over 33 years experience in law enforcement. I have vast knowledge, training and experience in this field.
• Political Experience: I am currently serving my third term as your sheriff of Lawrence County. I have dedicated my life to law enforcement and the protection of others.
• Civic Involvement: Lawrence Lodge #198 F&AM, Ironton Lions Club, Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce, Lawrence County Project First Impression.
• What will your top priority be if elected to office? To continue to serve the citizens of Lawrence County with honesty, professionalism and integrity. To continue working with the Commissioners on a new jail. To continue providing quality law enforcement services within the budget provided to me (…).
• What makes you the best candidate for the job? My experience, honor and rectitude. I am a proven leader who is highly qualified. I have always treated everyone with kindness and professionalism. I have dedicated my life to serving others.
• What professional accomplishments are you most proud of in your life? Becoming a law enforcement officer and being elected sheriff. Enforcing laws fairly and equally, regardless if the person is a fellow police officer or elected official. Investigating and bringing a quadruple murderer to justice.
• What would you do to increase bipartisanship and cooperation in our government? I would continue to be myself. I have a great working relationship with every elected official regardless of political affiliation. My work ethic has enabled me to provide the citizens with high quality service while still working within my budget.
• Other comments (30 words or less): I have worked to provide every school with a SRO which helps keep our children safe. I love serving as your sheriff and I humbly ask for your vote and support.
• Office Sought: Lawrence County Sheriff
• Party: Democrat
• Age: 54
• Residence: Coal Grove
• Professional background: Dedicated and veteran law enforcement officer with over 27 years of law enforcement experience. Able to deal effectively with people having diverse social and economic backgrounds. Dedicated leader with proven ability to deliver results in high pressure situations.
• Occupation: Detective captain, Ironton Police Department
• Political Experience: Served on Coal Grove Village Council for seven years. Served as president of Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #75 for five years.
• Civic Involvement: I proudly served my country in the Ohio National Guard for six years. I openly communicate with community members and groups off the clock to help define the needs of the people; (…) starting and maintaining Neighborhood Watch Programs.
• What will your top priority be if elected to office? I will work diligently to find a solution for a new jail, provide more road patrols for the entire county, make sound financial decisions to improve existing conditions of the sheriff’s department and bring accountability and transparency to the office.
• What makes you the best candidate for the job? (…) I can do the work and deliver exceptional results. I have the skill set and experience that make me the best choice for sheriff. I will deliver results and not excuses to the citizens of Lawrence County.
• What professional accomplishments are you most proud of in your life? I am most proud of the daily duties that bring a sense of safety and security to those I serve. Serving and protecting the citizens of Ironton for 24 years has been my best professional accomplishment. (…)
• What would you do to increase bipartisanship and cooperation in our government? The problems that face Lawrence County affect us, no matter party affiliation. So should the solutions. The election needs to be about the people and not the parties. (…)
• Other comments (30 words or less): I feel there is a definite need for change in Lawrence County. The drug epidemic, rise of crimes and jail situation deserve better attention and service immediately. After being elected, I promise to be a sheriff, not a politician.
Treasurer Tresa Baker • Office Sought: Lawrence County Treasurer • Party: Republican • Age: 57 • Residence: Willow Wood, Windsor... read more