– Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Elkins Waste Services has changed how they pick up residential trash for the safety of workers. All trash must be bagged and placed in an Elkins Waste Services cart or a suitable can that can be lifted by their employees. They will not collect any items setting outside of the can or on the ground. They are suspending curbside bulky item collections and all “spring cleanups” at this time.
— The Ironton Lions Club will be holding a spring or summer yard sale, date to be determined, and is looking for donations. Anyone who has gently used toys, tools, furniture, applications and crafts can call 1-740-479-8215 to schedule a pick up. They will not accept TVs, tires, batteries or paint. All proceeds to go back into the community and Lions charities.
— The deadline for the Winter Crisis program is May 1. The Ironton and Lawrence County Area CAO began the program on Nov. 1, 2019. The agency can assist with a main heating source cost through a one-time payment to a utility company, wood, coal, or some type of bottled gas. In order to process your application quickly and efficiently, please be prepared to provide all needed documents. Keep in mind that other requirements may be asked for. This cuts down on the time spent in the interview process and return visits. The necessary documents are as follows:
• A list of all household members and proof of income for the last 30 days or 12 months for each member
• Proof of citizenship for all household members, example: birth certificate, voter registration card, passport, etc.
• Birthdates and Social Security cards for each household member
• Heating bill/bulk fuel account number
• Electric bill with account number
• If you are a disabled client, please provide documentation of disability.
For information, call 740-237-3262 or visit the website at https://app.capappointments.com/
— Ohio State Legal Services Association provides free representation in civil matters to people who cannot afford an attorney in Lawrence and surrounding counties. For more information call 1-800-589-5888.
— Those who want to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon from the Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office should call 740-532-3525 and schedule an appointment. This is essential since staff is not always available to process these permits.
“Look around me/ I can see my life before me/ Running rings around the way / It used to be…”... read more