Fire destroys house that was home to 7Published 10:38am Friday, December 6, 2013
An early morning house fire has left a family homeless just three weeks before Christmas.
Ironton Fire Department was called out at 3:41 a.m. today to 1527 S. Fourth St.
“Upon arrival there was heavy fire and smoke coming from the left front of the building,” Capt. Craig Thomas said.
Living in the two-story frame structure were tenants, Samantha Kazee, her grandfather, Charles Sparks and her five children, 2-year-old twins, a 3-year-old, a 4-year-old and an 8-year-old.
“She said when she woke up she saw the curtains on fire in the front of the apartment,” Thomas said. “All were displaced and the Red Cross has been contacted and is taking care of them with lodging and clothing.”
The family, including their two pet dogs, were outside of the structure at the time the fire department arrived.
Crews were on the scene until 6 a.m. The house was owned by Greg Van Horn.
“(The fire) is under investigation at this time and was a total loss,” Thomas said.