Archived Story

Fire destroys house that was home to 7

Published 10:38am Friday, December 6, 2013

An early morning house fire has left a family homeless just three weeks before Christmas.

Ironton Fire Department was called out at 3:41 a.m. today to 1527 S. Fourth St.

“Upon arrival there was heavy fire and smoke coming from the left front of the building,” Capt. Craig Thomas said.

Living in the two-story frame structure were tenants, Samantha Kazee, her grandfather, Charles Sparks and her five children, 2-year-old twins, a 3-year-old, a 4-year-old and an 8-year-old.

“She said when she woke up she saw the curtains on fire in the front of the apartment,” Thomas said. “All were displaced and the Red Cross has been contacted and is taking care of them with lodging and clothing.”

The family, including their two pet dogs, were outside of the structure at the time the fire department arrived.

Crews were on the scene until 6 a.m. The house was owned by Greg Van Horn.

“(The fire) is under investigation at this time and was a total loss,” Thomas said.

The Tribune believes it is possible for people with a variety of points of view to discuss issues in a civil manner and will remove comments that, in our opinion, foster incivility. We want to encourage an open exchange of information and ideas. Responsibility for what is posted or contributed to this site is the sole responsibility of each user. By contributing to this website, you agree not to post any defamatory, abusive, harassing, obscene, sexual, threatening or illegal material, or any other material that infringes on the ability of others to enjoy this site, or that infringes on the rights of others. Any user who feels that a contribution to this website is a violation of these terms of use is encouraged to email report-comments@irontontribune.com, or click the "report comment" link that is on all comments. We reserve the right to remove messages that violate these terms of use and we will make every effort to do so — within a reasonable time frame — if we determine that removal is necessary.

Editor's Picks

Apple butter on sale to benefit Shop With a Cop

SOUTH POINT — Law enforcement agencies in Lawrence County have kicked off the annual apple butter fundraiser for the Shop With a Cop program. Every year, ... Read more