Pointers hold on this time

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 15, 1999

South Point – Coach Mark Lafon saw a situation from last season.

Wednesday, December 15, 1999

South Point – Coach Mark Lafon saw a situation from last season. Then he saw the results of this season.

Email newsletter signup

The South Point Pointers built a 15-point lead only to watch the Ironton Fighting Tigers rally to within two points.

But the Pointers were able to hold on and beat the Fighting Tigers 67-61 Tuesday.

"A year ago we would have lost that game," said Lafon. "I thought it was really big how we came out and got the job done.

"For once I thought we played good team defense. We were gritty and we stepped it up and played."

The Pointers (2-2) got the job done with four starters reaching double figures as Jarred Perdue scored 16, Brian Cremeans and Shane Holsinger 14 each, and B. J. Ferrell 13.

Ironton (1-1) was led by Jason Harmon with a game-high 26 points. Jimmy Peyton had nine rebounds and Harmon pulled down eight.

The Fighting Tigers held a commanding 41-23 rebounding advantage.

"I’m not surprised," Lafon said. "Ironton’s very athletic and very physical. I thought they came out sluggish the third quarter and I warned our guys they were going to kick it into gear, and they did."

Ironton coach Chris Barnes was disappointed with the loss, but he saw a lot of bright spots, especially since six of his players were on the Division IV state runner-up football team. Josh Harmon and Roman Fry have practiced one week while Peyton, Michael Henry, Jason Harmon, and Drew Mains had practiced only one day.

"We couldn’t get into our offense because we don’t have one," said Barnes. "But we didn’t do bad for only one practice. We handled their press pretty well. Once we get in shape and get some work, we should be OK. It’s going to take a while."

After South Point took a 6-0 lead to start the game, Barnes began sending in the football players and they drew even at 11-11 to finish the quarter.

It was 21-21 late in the half when Cremeans hit a 3-pointer to put South Point up 24-21 at the break.

Holsinger scored 4 straight points and Cremeans got a steal and layup as South Point took a 30-21 lead.

Henry’s two foul shots snapped the skid, but the Pointers began to pull away. A layup by Ferrell got the lead to 47-32, but Peyton’s short jumper cut the deficit to 47-34, and then Cremeans followed up his own missed shot just before the buzzer to make it 49-34.

Ironton jumped into a press the fourth quarter and began to make a run at the Pointers.

"We haven’t worked on a press. We just told them where to go during the timeout. That’s the way this team is meant to play," said Barnes.

Jason Harmon got hot as he drained three 3-pointers and scored 17 points in the quarter. He hit a 3-pointer and then stole the ball and made a layup at the 1:12 mark and it was 61-59.

Chris Robinson then picked up a loose ball rolling free under the Pointers basket and Chris Robinson scored with 12 seconds left and it was 65-59.

Harmon hit a short jumper, but Ironton fouled Holsinger to make it 67-61 and seal the win.

Ironton hosts Rock Hill Thursday. South Point entertains Tolsia, W.Va., next Tuesday.