• 54°

Be Mindful Of Fire Safety

Sometimes it’s the little things you do that can make a world of difference.

Thursday, January 11, 2001

Sometimes it’s the little things you do that can make a world of difference.

In the wake of two fatal fires in the region – one in Wheelersburg Monday that claimed the lives of two small children and one in Greenup County, Ky. last Thursday that took a father and his three children – having a better understanding of fire safety is crucial.

According to the United States Fire Administration (USFA), many of the 4,000-plus deaths and 25,000-plus injuries caused by fires are preventable. In the Wheelersburg fire, a faulty electric heater was blamed while burning candles left unattended are believed to have caused the other blaze.

The USFA offers these tips on fire safety:

– Allow your heater to cool before refueling and only refuel outdoors.

– Keep the fire in the fireplace by making sure you have a screen large enough to catch flying sparks and rolling logs.

– Clean your chimney regularly. Chimney tar build-up can ignite your chimney, roof and the whole house.

– Keep combustibles at least three feet away from space heaters.

– When buying a space heater, look for a control feature that automatically shuts off the power if the heater falls over.

– Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home. Test the batteries every month and change them at least once a year.

Taking these precautions will help ensure the safety of you and your family.