Grand jury returns 17 other true bills
Lawrence County grand jurors indicted a Willow Wood woman and Ironton man Tuesday in connection with the April 25 rape of a young girl, county prosecutor J.
Wednesday, May 16, 2001
Lawrence County grand jurors indicted a Willow Wood woman and Ironton man Tuesday in connection with the April 25 rape of a young girl, county prosecutor J.B. Collier Jr. said.
Roger Lee Newcomb, 43, of 1552 Township Road 179, Ironton, was indicted on one count of rape, first-degree felony.
Tammy Payton, 31, of 5288 Ohio 217, Willow Wood, was indicted on charges of complicity to rape, first-degree felony; kidnapping, second-degree felony; theft of checks, fifth-degree felony; and grand theft of a motor vehicle, fourth-degree felony.
"This case involves the rape of a 12-year-old girl," Collier said.
The complicity to rape charge alleges that Ms. Payton facilitated the offense, he said.
Collier said he could not comment on other details of the case because it is still pending. As filed, an indictment represents only a formal charge and does not indicate a court judgment.
The Lawrence County Grand Jury met Monday and Tuesday, reviewing cases. Six were passed on for further investigation. Jurors returned 16 other true bills, including:
– Wilburn Pauley, 37, of Route 1, Box 132, South Point: breaking and entering, fifth-degree felony.
– Mark D. Ward, 30, of 7792 County Road 1, South Point: preparation of marijuana for sale, fourth-degree felony.
– Joshua M. Mosley, 19, of 142 Township Road 1096, Chesapeake: three counts of theft, fifth-degree felonies; and two counts criminal trespassing, misdemeanors.
– William E. Rowe, 44, of 58 Private Drive 35, Proctorville: driving under the influence, having five priors within 6 years, felony.
– Roger Black, 19, of 410 County Road 68, Chesapeake: escape, fifth-degree felony.
– Jesse Dement, 25, of 923 Ohio 218, Willow Wood: receiving stolen property, fifth-degree felony.
– Roger Dodson, 37, of 133 Township Road 343, Ironton: theft, fifth-degree felony; escape, fifth-degree felony.
– Jimmy R. McCallister II, 29, of 1125 S. Seventh, St., Ironton: robbery, second-degree felony. The incident occurred in October 1999 at the then Rich Oil station on Liberty Avenue in Ironton, according to court records.
– Ronald "Shannon" Kawlski, 30, of 11426 County Road 1, Chesapeake: three counts breaking and entering, fifth-degree felonies,; three counts theft, fifth-degree felonies; one count receiving stolen property, fourth-degree felony; one count improper handling of firearms in a motor vehicle, first-degree misdemeanor.
– George E. Galloway, 26, of 77 Private Drive 125, Chesapeake: one count breaking and entering, fifth-degree felony; one count theft, fifth-degree felony. Galloway is a co-defendant with Kawlski.
– Erik L. Hargis, 21, of 99 Township Road 1335 Rear, South Point: one count breaking and entering, fifth-degree felony; one count theft, fifth-degree felony. Hargis is a co-defendant with Kawlski.
– Crystal G. Lewis, 19, of 609 S. Ninth St., Ironton: felonious assault, second-degree felony. A co-defendant.
– Karen Lewis Wilson, 32, of 312 N. Second St. Apt. A, Ironton: felonious assault, second-degree felony. A co-defendant.
– Jeffery L. Lewis, 30, of 203 1/2 S. Third St. Apt. 12, Ironton: two counts felonious assault, second-degree felony. A co-defendant.
– Joseph L. Lewis, 36, of 203 1/2 S. Third St. Apt. 12, Ironton: one count felonious assault, second-degree felony. A co-defendant.
– Brenda Chinn, 43, of 351 Township Road 1110, Proctorville: endangering children, fourth-degree felony; possession of drug abuse instruments, second-degree misdemeanor.