Seperate weekend accidents send two to W.Va. hospitals via Lifeflight

Published 12:00 am Sunday, August 18, 2002

Two unrelated vehicle accidents over the weekend required the two respective drivers to be transported via Lifeflight helicopter to two seperate W.Va. hospitals.

A Kitts Hill man is in critical condition after a tanker truck collided with his motorcycle Friday..

Around noon, George E. Wise was heading east on State Route 141 when a westbound tanker driven by Carl D. Douglas of Shoshoni, Wyo. was turning left onto Township Road 112 (Bald Knob-Dog Fork Rd.), said Sergeant J.P. Kisor of the Ohio Highway Patrol. Douglas turned into Wise’s path, and Wise’s 1982 Yamaha struck the trailer, he added.

Email newsletter signup

The tanker was hauling liquid carbon monoxide and there was no leakage, Kisor said.

Southeastern Ohio EMS (SEOEMS) transported Wise to a nearby field, and he was then transported via Lifeflight to St. Mary’s Hospital.

Wise also had a valid driver’s license and motorcycle endorsement, Kisor said, adding that no substance abuse appeared to be involved.

Douglas was cited for failure to yield right-of-way, said Trooper Chuck Knapp of the Ohio Highway Patrol. Also, both he and Wise were driving under the 55 mph speed limit, Knapp added.

On Saturday, Jerry Twinam of Ironton wrapped his 1984 Dodge 600 ES around a telephone pole after he slid off the left side of the road while traveling northbound on State Route 93.

He was transported by helicopter from Rock Hill High School to Cabell Huntington Hospital.

"He was most definitely intoxicated," said Sgt. J.P. Kisor of the Ohio State Patrol. "He just got a DUI nine days ago after a foot and vehicle pursuit."

Twinam was charged with failure to control his vehicle, driving on a suspended license, no seatbelt, and driving under the influence. All are charges are misdmeanors.

The vehicle had an Arizona license plate that was stolen from a U-Haul truck, Kisor said.

Twinam was unconscious when officers arrived but Kisor didn’t think the injuries were life threatening. His vehicle nearly broke the telephone pole.

American Electric Power came to replace the telephone pole because it was too dangerous to leave in the condition it was in, said Mark Pierson, line mechanic A with AEP. Amelia Pridemore/The Ironton Tribune Michael Caldwell/The Ironton Tribune