Upper Twp. home gutted by afternoon blaze

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, March 12, 2003

UPPER TOWNSHIP- A faulty breaker box may be to blame for a fire yesterday afternoon at a mobile home on Norris Branch Road.

Homeowners Jennie and Todd Avery, who were home at the time the blaze broke out just before 1 p.m., said they had been having trouble with the breaker box.

Upper Township Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Scott said the back part of the residence sustained considerable damage.

Email newsletter signup

"The breaker box was in one of the kid's bedrooms," Scott said. "The walls in that part of the house are gutted about a third of the way up. The walls are gone, the insulation is gone. There's nothing but the studs. The front part of the house suffered smoke damage."

Jennie Avery's father, Oscar Owens, who lives next door, said a neighbor, Dallas Joseph, helped the Averys try to put out the fire by joining them in a bucket brigade to bring water from the creek in back of the trailer to fight the blaze until the fire department arrived on the scene.

"They're all good neighbors around here," Owens said.