Sunday afternoon fire damages house in Ironton

Published 12:00 am Monday, February 2, 2004

An effort to thaw frozen water pipes may be to blame for a house fire Sunday in Ironton.

Ironton Fire Department Capt. Mike Mahlmeister said the fire at 1917 S. Fourth Street broke out just after 4 p.m. Sunday.

"It seemed to start in the basement area and followed a channel all the way to the roof area," Mahlmeister said. "The roof was well involved upon our arrival."

Email newsletter signup

The house was occupied by the Michael Coburn family. Mahlmeister said people were in the house when the fire broke out, but got out of the structure safely.

Damage to the house is estimated in the $20,000 range, Mahlmeister said. Some off-duty firefighters as well as Fire Chief Tom Runyon were called out to help battle the blaze.