Young says he will enter guilty plea

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, February 10, 2004

GRAYSON, Ky. - A Carter County, Ky., man charged with murdering his father and stepmother hopes to avoid paying for their lives with his own.

Andrew Young waived his right to grand jury proceedings Monday in Carter County District Court. Carter County Commonwealth's Attorney David Flatt said Young has agreed to plead guilty to the murder charges once his case reaches the circuit court level in exchange for Flatt not seeking the death penalty in the case.

Flatt said the agreement was reached Friday night when Young agreed to lead authorities to his parents' bodies.

Email newsletter signup

"The agreement reached was supported by the families of both victims," Flatt said. "Their main concern was finding the bodies."

Young appeared in Carter County District Court Monday for his arraignment there. Shortly after his appearance, he officially waived his right to the grand jury and Flatt signed information in the case. Flatt said he expects Young to be arraigned in Circuit Court some time in March. The exact date for the arraignment in that court has not been scheduled. In the meantime, Young's attorney, Robin Webb, has asked for a psychological evaluation for her client.

Flatt said the judge who sentences Young is not necessarily obligated to honor the agreement reached between the attorneys, but if he does not, then Young could withdraw his guilty plea and ask for a jury trial.

Gary and Cheryl Young were reported missing in January after they failed to show up for work. Kentucky authorities then began searching for Andrew Young so they could question him in the matter. He was apprehended last week at an apartment complex in Meade County, Ky., near Ft. Knox, and was returned to eastern Kentucky. He was then charged with the two counts of murder.

Young's girlfriend, Stephanie Griffith, is charged with two counts of kidnapping in the case. She was to have appeared Monday in district court for a preliminary hearing but that was postponed. Flatt said the grand jury may hear her case Wednesday.