Local OSU football player allegedly assaulted

Published 12:00 am Monday, August 23, 2004

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. - Phillip Redgie Arden, an Ironton man and Ohio State University football player, was injured in an alleged bar fight early Sunday morning that left him hospitalized.

According to the Huntington Police Department, Arden, 22, was involved in a large altercation involving several individuals that occurred at 12:35 a.m. Sunday

in the 2000 block of Third Street near Joan C. Edwards Stadium.

Email newsletter signup

No one has been charged at this time and no other names of individuals involved have been released, according to Capt. Steve Hall.

Though Hall declined to comment if the arrest was related,

Marshall Football player Jonathan Goddard was arrested for a misdemeanor charge of battery of a police officer. The arrest came at the same time and location as the Arden assault, Hall said.

Goddard was released later Sunday on a personal recognizance bond.

"Arden's assault remains under investigation," Hall said. "If we make an arrest, we will release the names."

Reports indicated that Arden had a broken nose and severe swelling on the right side of his face. Kathy Cosco spokesperson for Cabell Huntington, said Arden remains in good condition and will likely be released today.

Goddard, a 6-foot, 245-pound senior, led the Marshall Thundering Herd with 20.5 tackles for loss and tied for the team lead with 6.5 sacks last season. He has started 24 consecutive games.

Arden, a 6-foot-4, 260-pound junior, is a defensive end for the Buckeyes, his third position after also being a linebacker and a tight end.

In 2002, Arden was sentenced to three days in jail and fined after pleading guilty to drunken driving in Ironton. Ohio State suspended him from summer workouts, but he was reinstated before the 2002 season and played in 11 games. Last season, he played seven minutes total in seven games, mainly on special teams.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.