W.Va. man arrested in Coal Grove after chase

Published 12:00 am Monday, August 23, 2004

COAL GROVE- A West Virginia

man is in jail this morning after leading numerous authorities on a high-speed pursuit this morning from West Virginia into Ohio, ending in Coal Grove.

Jonathan Hall, 22, whose address was not available at press time, will likely be charged with

Email newsletter signup

fleeing and eluding, felonious assault and other charges in Ohio as well as any charges he may face in West Virginia.

Lawrence County Sheriff

Tim Sexton said local authorities were alerted at approximately 8:30 a.m. today that West Virginia authorities were in pursuit of Hall's vehicle and that he had crossed over into Ohio.

The pursuit allegedly took Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers and sheriff's deputies along U.S. 52. At one point, Sexton said troopers used a stop stick in an effort to disable Hall's vehicle. The stop stick apparently deflated at least one tire, but Hall allegedly continued fleeing on tire rims. Sexton said one of his deputies fired his gun at Hall's vehicle's tire as the vehicle

approached an area near the Ashland-Coal Grove bridges. The gun shot deflated another tire, but Hall allegedly continued on, turning onto State Route 243. Sexton said at one point, Hall's

vehicle rammed a sheriff's cruiser and did some damage to it.

The pursuit ended at Zoar Hill near Zoar Baptist Church when Hall turned into a driveway and rammed a private automobile.

Hall was apprehended by sheriff's deputies and Coal Grove police officers after allegedly attempting to flee on foot.

Sexton said both Hall and sheriff's deputy, Major Jeff Lawless, were taken to an area hospital for treatment of wounds sustained in the morning's incident. Hall reported a foot injury; Lawless sustained a back injury.

"We're lucky no one else was injured. No private citizens were injured and no other drivers on the highway were injured" Sexton said. "We appreciate the involvement of all the agencies."