Guilty pleas entered in county court

Published 12:00 am Monday, November 29, 2004

An Ironton man charged with helping a woman flee the state with three children pleaded guilty last week to charges in connection with that incident as well as charges stemming from a prior arrest.

Jeremy Schwab, 24, whose last known address was 2608 S. Eighth St., pleaded guilty to three counts of complicity to custodial interference last Wednesday in Lawrence County Common Pleas Court. Schwab was arrested in September along with Cheryl Turvey, a.k.a Cheryl Jenkins, 28, also of Ironton. Both were accused of violating a custody order by taking Jenkins' three children to Georgia instead of returning them to their father after a scheduled visitation. The father has custody of the children and alerted the Lawrence County Sheriff's Office when Jenkins failed to return the children as required.

Schwab also pleaded guilty to three counts of third-degree felony trafficking in trafficking in crack cocaine from an arrest earlier this year, and a charge of failure to appear. He was scheduled for a court appearance during the time he and Jenkins took the children out of state.

Email newsletter signup

Lawrence County Common Pleas Judge Frank McCown sentenced Schwab to five years prison on each of the drug charges, 17 months in prison on the failure to appear charge and 11 months in prison on the complicity charges, all to be served concurrently.

Jenkins pleaded guilty earlier this month to charges against her in connection with the incident involving her children.

Also Wednesday, a Chesapeake woman accused of failing to protect her son from abuse at the hands of a family friend pleaded guilty in Common Pleas Court. Diana Miller, 32, 204 Rockwood Ave., pleaded guilty to two counts of third-degree felony child endangerment.

Lawrence County Common Pleas Judge Richard Walton ordered a pre-sentence investigation in the case.

Miller was arrested in August after medical personnel alerted the Lawrence County Sheriff's office to possible abuse involving Miller's 4-year-old son, who had been taken to an area hospital for treatment. A family friend residing at the Miller residence, Thomas Overby, was charged with two counts of second-degree felonious assault. He is scheduled to stand trial in December.