Bad day at the office for Fighting Tigers

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, September 20, 2005

JACKSON - This one started bad and didn't get much better.

Ironton fumbled the ball away inside the 5-yard line on its first possession and was guilty of two more turnovers as the Jackson Ironmen took a stunning 17-7 win over the Fighting Tigers Friday.

After forcing a punt to start the game, Ironton had the ball at the Jackson 23 when Darius Lewis broke free on a 19-yard run to the 4-yard line.

Email newsletter signup

However, the ball slipped from Lewis' hands and Jackson's Robbie Marhoover recovered at the 2-yard line.

"We let this one get away the first time we had the ball," Ironton coach Bob Lutz said. "We should have scored the first time we had the ball. Then we get a fumble call on our next possession and that let them hang around and get some confidence."

Ironton (3-1) forced Jackson to punt on its next possession and had the ball at the 39. Lewis ran 6 yards to midfield only to have Jackson's Jesse Adams pull the ball away from him while he lay on the turf for a second turnover.

The game remained scoreless until the third quarter when Jackson (3-1) drove 68 yards in seven plays. Quarterback Marcus Boggs started left only to run into several Ironton defenders. He slipped a couple of tacklers, reversed his field and ran 27 yards for a touchdown.

Justin Mullins kicked the conversion for a 7-0 lead at the 6:26 mark.

Ironton came right back on the strength of a 46-yard pass from Lewis to Brandon Walker to the 4-yard line. Jared Murphy scored on the next play and Craig Stamper's conversion kick tied the game with 4:20 on the clock.

Jackson then put together a 75-yard, 16-play time-consuming drive that culminated with a 12-yard touchdown run by Adams. Mullins kick made it 14-7.

Two plays earlier, Adams fumbled the ball as he was hit and Ironton recovered at the 25. However, as Adams fell away from the ball his helmet came off and the officials ruled the ball dead and there was no change of possession.

The Fighting Tigers were unable to move the ball and an 11-yard punt gave Jackson the ball at the Ironton 29. Four plays later Mullins kicked a 39-yard field goal to seal the win with 4:35 to play.

Although Jackson had the ball for 57 plays to just 35 for the Fighting Tigers, the Ironmen only outgained Ironton 228 to 196 in total yards.

"As poorly as we played, we still had chances to win the game," Lutz said. "But give Jackson credit. They controlled the football and made the plays when they needed."

The win was the first for Jackson over Ironton since 1969. The Fighting Tigers lead the series 26-3-5.



Third Quarter

Ja – Marcus Boggs 27 run (Justin Mullins kick) 6:26

Irn – Jared Murphy 4 run (Craig Stamper kick) 4:20

Fourth Quarter

Ja – Jesse Adams 12 run (Justin Mullins kick) 8:23

Ja – Justin Mullins 39 field goal 4:35



First downs713


Passing yards11145

Total yards196228






Individual Leaders

RUSHING – Ironton: Darius Lewis 10-55, Jared Murphy 7-21, Eric Layne 2-8, Chad Miller 8-1; Jackson: Dusty Erwin 23-84, Jesse Adams 9-37, Marcus Boggs 13-62, Brandon Oliver 2-2.

PASSING – Ironton: Chad Miller 5-7-1 73, Darius Lewis 1-1-0 38; Jackson: Marcus Boggs 5-10-1 45.

RECEIVING – Ironton: Brandon Walker 2-54, Andy Colegrove 1-38, Darius Lewis 2-11; Jackson: George Lowery 3-28, Jesse Adams 1-9, Andy Wasch 1-8.