Chesy family thankful blaze was contained

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 14, 2005

CHESAPEAKE - A fire that swept through a home on Old State Route 7 on Friday morning may have came close to destroying a neighboring home as well.

In the early hours of Friday morning, Patrick Watts and his family were sleeping soundly, when Watts said he awoke suddenly, sat straight up in bed, and saw an &#8220orange glow.”

Earlier in the day, the Watts said they heard an explosion but thought nothing of it.

Email newsletter signup

&#8220We thought everything was fine,” Michelle Watts said. &#8220Three hours later everything was on fire.”

The cause of the fire that started around 3 a.m. is undetermined at this time and still under investigation.

The residents were not at home at the time of the fire. Proctorville Fire Department was the first called to the blaze, with the Chesapeake Union Township Fire Department, Burlington-Fayette No. 2 and Rome Fire Departments called in for back up.

&#8220A neighbor called in and said he heard an explosion and this is what the result was,” Matt Smith with the Proctorville Fire Department said on Friday morning as he was called back out to put out some &#8220hot spots” left by the blaze.

According to Chesapeake Fire Department Chief Rick Slack, the road is narrow and has no fire hydrants. The fire departments had to go back and forth to another location to get water to put out the blaze.

The fire destroyed the residence and came close to the Watts' home, burning the overhang, wires on the back of the house and the roof.

Michelle Watts was asleep on the couch with their infant son, Lucian, then the blaze began, when her husband woke her and they left their home.

&#8220We were lucky,” she said. &#8220If anything would have happened to him, I just don't know what I would've done.”