Man fined, sentenced for crack trafficking

Published 12:00 am Saturday, June 3, 2006

A man who pleaded guilty to drug peddling and three men accused of sex crimes were among those making appearances Wednesday in Lawrence County Common Pleas Court.

Damon Poke, 28, formerly of 11398 County Road 1, Chesapeake, pleaded guilty three counts of trafficking in crack cocaine from two separate indictments dating back to 2004. Poke is already serving a prison sentence for a conviction in the federal court system.

When asked if he had anything to say before he was sentenced, Poke replied “Just that I’m really sorry, your honor.”

Email newsletter signup

Judge Frank McCown sentenced Poke to four years community controlled sanctions and ordered him to pay $15,000 in fines.

A South Point man was arraigned Wednesday on two additional counts of rape. McCown set bond at $1 million for Mark Miller, 33, of 545 County Road 1. He will stand trial Thursday. Miller was indicted May 2 and then again May 26.

“The indictment is for acts during a different time frame,” Assistant Lawrence County Prosecutor Brigham Anderson said. “This latest indictment is for incidents that took place in 2002. The first indictment was for incidents a year and a half ago. The victim is the same.”

Also Wednesday, a Coal Grove man awaiting trial on sex crimes charges will wait a little longer for his day in court.

Michael Reaper, 32, of 235 Memorial St., waived his right to a speedy trial Wednesday to allow his attorney, Warren Morford, additional time to prepare his defense. He faces one count of unlawful sexual conduct and one count of sexual battery. He was indicted in November 2005. The alleged victim was a 14-year-old girl.

Likewise, a Columbus area man facing a count of rape also waived his right to a speedy trial. Michael Gilkerson III, 30, was originally scheduled to stand trial Thursday. The delay will allow Morford, who is also Gilkerson’s attorney, more time to prepare a defense in this case as well.

Gilkerson was indicted in November 2005. The alleged victim was a 5-year-old girl.