Chesapeake uses defense to post win over Pointers

Published 12:00 am Friday, November 3, 2006

SOUTH POINT — All season long, the Chesapeake Panthers defense has taken a hit. Friday night, the defense hit back.

The Panthers limited South Point to just 129 total yards as Chesapeake opened Ohio Valley Conference play with a 28-7 win over the Pointers.

“Coach (Larry) Morgan and the kids had a good week and a nice scheme,” Panthers coach Phil Davis said.

Email newsletter signup

“I felt coming in if we executed what we wanted we’d be okay. South Point made some plays and we knew they would. But we moved some people around and the kids played hard.”

Chesapeake is now 2-4 but 1-0 in the OVC.

“We knew any kind of win was big for us, and starting OVC play we knew that it was a new season” Davis said.

The first quarter saw Chesapeake (2-4) commit five false start penalties — three on the first drive of the game. The Panthers had 15 penalties for the game.

However, on its second possession, Chesapeake put together a drive and moved it to the South Point 9-yard line only to turn it over on downs when Aaron Donahoe’s fourth down pass fell incomplete in the end zone.

The first score of the game did not come until the Panthers Terry Brown scored from 3 yards out. Aaron Donohoe ran in the two-point conversion and it was 8-0 with 5:51 remaining in the half.

The Pointers (1-5) came right back on its next possession to get on the board.

South Point started its drive at its own 36-yard line and, on the second play, quarterback Chris Smith hit Jerrell Dean on a screen pass which he took for a 62-yard touchdown. The score was 8-7 with 4:56 to go in the second quarter.

Smith finished the game 7-of-12 for 92 yards and one touchdown. Chesapeake’s defense sacked or tackled Smith six times for a minus 38 yards.

However, Chesapeake stormed right back when Kenny Morgan took the ensuing kickoff 83 yards for a touchdown.

“Kenny does a great job every week” Davis said.

Terry Brown ran in the two-point conversion to give the Panthers a 16-7 lead at halftime.

South Point got the opening possession of the second half, and the Pointers started from its own 25-yard line. On the first play, Jude Crabtree took the handoff and raced down the sideline for a 61-yard gain, giving the Pointers a first down at the Panthers 14-yard line.

On fourth down Chesapeake was called for a personal foul and the Pointers had it first and goal at the four but could not move it any closer.

Lance Miller attempted a field goal, but it fell short. Both teams traded punts, and the Panthers had the ball at the end of the third quarter at their own 37.

On the first play of the fourth quarter, Chesapeake faced a third-and-10, and quarterback Aaron Donohoe found Kenny Morgan who got behind the Pointers secondary for a 63-yard touchdown. The two-point conversion was no good and it was 22-7 with 11:48 remaining in the game.

Donohoe finished 1-4 passing for 63 yards and one touchdown.

He also ran six times for 38 yards.

South Point turned it over on downs, and Chesapeake went to the ground.

The Panthers went 74 yards in 10 plays, and Jaran Bartoe ran it in from 5 yards out for the final score of the game, and give the Panthers a 28-7 lead.

The Panthers used 10 different running backs in the game and Kersten Harris led the way with 13 carries for 103 yards.

Bartoe finished with 6 carries for 31 yards and a touchdown. Mike Stapleton added 10 carries for 48 yards.