Mount View ground game turns back Pointers

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, April 3, 2007

SOUTH POINT – The Mount View Golden Knights used the ground game on a muddy field and overcame three turnovers in a 42-28 win over the South Point Pointers.

“I was very pleased with the effort of our kids,” South Point coach Dan McDavid said.

“My kids played hard, and we played an athletic team in Mount View.”

Email newsletter signup

The win gives Mount View a 3-1 record and ups the record of South Point’s opponents to 20-5.

“I’m proud of my team. They’ve hung in there against some good teams the first half of the season. Now we just have to get ready for the second half,” McDavid said.

The first score of the game came with 15 seconds to go in the first quarter, when Mount View’s Antonio Horton ran for a 75 yard touchdown on the first play of the series to give the Golden Knights a 6-0 lead.

Horton finished the game with 156 yards on 11 carries, and two touchdowns.

South Point got the ball to open the second quarter and went on a long drive that covered 56 yards in 13 plays all on the ground, and was capped off by a Chris Smith touchdown from 1-yard out to give the Pointers a 7-6 lead with 5:58 remaining in the half.

The lead was short lived as Mount View scored in 5 plays to regain the lead.

Quarterback Deontae Baker found Cederic Thomas on third down for a gain of 24 yards.

Two plays later running back Cordero High ran it in from 18 yards out to take a 14-7 with 3:26 remaining in the half.

South Point was forced to punt, but on the first play of the series, Mount View gave it right back to the Pointers via the second interception by Beau Weed.

South Point went to the air, and Smith found Weed for a gain of 11 yards, and two plays later Smith found Jacob Orlando for a 32-yard touchdown.

Orlando had a strong game running and receiving.

He finished with 90 yards on 17 carries, and 86 yards on 4 receptions and two touchdowns.

The half ended with the score knotted at 14-14.

Mount View scored on the opening series of the second half when High ran 43 yards for his second touchdown of the game.

The extra point was blocked, and the Golden Knights had a 20-14 lead.

South Point got the ball and again went on another long drive that covered 78 yards in 16 plays. Smith found Weed for a gain of 19 yards down to the one. Three plays later Smith hit Kyle Hughes for a 2-yard touchdown and the Pointers had the lead 21-20 with 21 seconds to go in the third.

Mount View struck right back in one play to end the third quarter. Antonio Horton scored on a 44-yard touchdown run and the Golden Knights converted a two-point conversion to make it 28-21 to end the quarter.

The Pointers opened the fourth quarter looking to tie the score again, but Mount View’s Eric Smith intercepted a screen pass from Chris Smith and ran it back 34 yards for a touchdown to give the Golden Knights a 34-21 lead.

South Point went on another long drive that covered 81 yards in 17 plays. The Pointers converted two fourth downs on the drive, and the second was a 27-yard touchdown pass from Smith to Orlando. Smith finished the game 12-27 for 186 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. He also ran 8 times for 37 yards and a score.

Mount View converted a fourth down, and two plays later and Baker found Cory Hale for a 38-yard touchdown and the Golden Knights added the two-point conversion to set the final score at 42-28.

“Mount View played hard, and they beat us on the scoreboard and that’s where it counts,” McDavid said.

Weed finished the game with three interceptions on defense, and caught three passes for 40 yards.

The Pointers (1-4) host the Chesapeake Panthers in the first Ohio Valley Conference game of the season for both teams.