Man arrested after standoff

Published 12:00 am Sunday, October 14, 2007

UPPER TOWNSHIP— An Upper Township man was arrested early Friday morning after an armed standoff with police. The standoff ended when a sheriff’s deputy tackled the gun-wielding man.

Ronnie Rowe, 54, of 96 Private Drive 2562, Ironton, was charged with two counts of kidnapping, two counts of felonious assault, discharging a firearm into a habitation, inducing panic and disrupting a public service. He was taken to the Lawrence County Jail.

Authorities were called to a residence in Sisler Hollow, off Lawrence Street Road just after 1:30 a.m. in response to a domestic dispute in which a man with a gun was holding people hostage. Callers told Lawrence County Sheriff’s deputies the man had fired the gun several times and was making threats to shoot people. Sheriff’s deputies, Ironton police and Coal Grove police went to the area, parked a short distance away and then walked to the area where the suspect was located and could hear his conversations with his hostages.

Email newsletter signup

“As we approached we could hear Ronnie yelling and making threats to kill both of them (hostages), saying he was going to shoot them and then shoot himself,” Deputy Steve Cartmel said in his report. Rowe also reportedly threatened to shoot any officers who came to the scene. Telephone wires at the residence had been pulled out of the box and two vehicles had been shot, according to a sheriff’s office report.

The situation ended when Rowe reportedly walked to the end of the road and was tackled by Deputy Jamie Pruitt.

“Deputies Steve Cartmel and Jamie Pruitt did a terrific job handling this highly volatile situation,” Lawrence County Sheriff Tim Sexton said. “The incident could have worsened and their courage and determination to end this conflict is to be commended. I also extend gratitude to the Ironton and Coal Grove police departments who responded to our officers at the scene.”

A 12-guage shotgun containing two deer slugs was confiscated.

Rowe will be arraigned Tuesday in Ironton Municipal Court.