Pointers#8217; big plays clinch share of OVC

Published 12:00 am Monday, October 29, 2007

PEDRO — As was the case last year, both teams came in the game in search of at least a share of the conference title, and coupled with 10 Rock Hill penalties and two turnovers; the South Point Pointers were able to win a share of the Ohio Valley Conference Championship for the second straight year with a 20-14 win over the Rock Hill Redmen.

“First off, our assistant coaches did a great job all year. We have also had great support from our superintendent and board members. They have been behind us all year,” Pointers’ Coach Doug Shilot said.

“We had a really good week of practice, and the kids bought into our system, stayed focused, and came out and played very well on both sides of the ball at times tonight.”

Email newsletter signup

South Point ends its season 5-5 and with a share of the conference championship with Coal Grove who defeated River Valley 32-31 in double overtime. Both teams are 4-1 in the league.

Rock Hill (7-3, 3-2) may still qualify for the Division IV playoffs. The Redmen are expected to be eighth and travel Saturday night to St. Clairsville.

“Our kids battled back and we tried we kept making mistakes and shooting ourselves in the foot, but our kids showed character and playing with great effort,” Redmen Coach Todd Knipp said.

“We were just unable to make plays when we needed to, and too many mistakes and too many turnovers for us this evening.”

Rock Hill opened the game with a pass from Drew Kuehne to Zach Zornes for 10 yards. However on the next play, a bad shotgun snap resulted in an 11-yard loss, and two plays later the Redmen faced a punting situation.

Again, another bad snap on the punt attempt left punter Brandon Guy scrambling back towards the end zone. He was able to pick up the ball and attempted a pass, but he was called for intentional grounding which ended up being a 30-yard penalty.

The Pointers got the ball at the 1-yard line and Tyler Smith scored on the next play. Kyle Hughes kicked the convesion and it was 7-0 with 9:35 left in the quarter.

Both teams traded punts, and on the second play of their third possession, the Redmen committed the first turnover of the game when South Point’s Zach Woody recovered at the Rock Hill 13.

Four plays later, Beau Weed found pay dirt from 4 yards out. Hughes’ kick extended the lead to 14-0 with 1:26 on the clock

After trading punts, Rock Hill got the ball at the Pointers’ 41 and drove for the score. Shane Bostic capped the drive with a 2-yard run and Mitchell Davenport’s kick cut the deifict to 14-7 with 5:13 left in the half.

South Point took over at their own 25 and drove 40 yards in eight plays, but Wes Pierson came up with an interception in the end zone to end the threat.

With only 46 seconds left, the Redmen looked to run out the clock. Bbut on second down, Pierson broke loose for a 53-yard run down to the Pointers’ 26. However, a holding penalty negated the run, and the half ended 14-7 in favor of South Point.

On the Pointers’ second possession of the second half, Weed found Ryan Plants for a gain of 30. Four plays later, Weed called his own number, scrambled outside, and beat the Rock Hill defense to the corner of the end zone. The kick failed and it was 20-7 with 4:46 to go in the third.

“We knew it was going to be a tough game, and just like last year; it was for the OVC title and we were able to come out, play hard and get a win,” Weed said. “We are seniors and we knew that this was our last game, and we wanted to end it right.”

Both teams traded punts to end the third quarter. Rock Hill continued a drive that started in the third quarter, and eight plays into the fourth quarter; Kuehne found Pierson for a 7- yard touchdown. The drive totaled 11 plays and covered 70 yards. The drive was highlighted by Kuehne passes of 14, 16, and 7 yards to three different receivers. Kuehne finished the game 11-20 passing for 109 yards.

With time running out, the Redmen took over at their own 18 and looked to put together a game-winning drive. On third down, Pierson broke several tackles and tiptoed the sideline for a 13-yard gain.

On first down, Kuehne was sacked by Smith for a 13-yard loss. Kuehne was about to be sacked on the next play but a facemask call gave the Redmen a first down on the 15-yard penalty.

However, two plays later on third down, Kuehne was intercepted by South Point’s Cory Garred to seal the win.

Garred returned the ball back for a touchdown, but a block in the back negated the score. South Point took a knee to end the game.

South Point14060=20

Rock Hill0707=14

First Quarter

SP — Tyler Smith 1 run (Kyle Hughes kick) 9:35

SP — Beau Weed 4 run (Hughes kick) 1:26

Second Quarter

RH — Shane Bostic 2 run (Mitchell Davenport kick) 5:13

Third Quarter

SP — Weed 15 run (kick failed) 4:46

Fourth Quarter

RH — Wes Pierson 7 pass from Drew Kuehne (Davenport kick) 9:38


First downs1012


Passing yards108109

Total yards257222




Individual Leaders

RUSHING—South Point: Jacob Seagraves 13-66, Beau Weed 15-33, Doug Dillon 4-18, Ryan Plants 4-10, Tyler Smith 3-4, Zach Woody 1-18. Rock Hill: Wes Pierson 18-80, Shane Bostic 10-17, Drew Kuehne 7-14, Corey Bamer 1-2.

PASSING—South Point: Beau Weed 6-9-1 108. Rock Hill: Drew Kuehne 11-20-1 109.

RECEIVING—South Point: Chase Kratzenberg 1-37, Ryan Plants 1-30, Cory Garred 1-13, Kyle Hughes 1-10, Jacob Seagraves 1-9, Tyler Smith 1-7. Rock Hill: Wes Pierson 5-29, Seth Kuehne 2-28, Zach Zornes 2-26, Josh Christian 1-14, C.J. Justice 1-12.