Waterloo man sentenced for firing gun into a house

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A Waterloo man was sentenced to four years in prison Wednesday after admitting he fired a gun into the house of people with whom he had been angry.

Justin Kersey, 19, of 1021 County Road 210, pleaded guilty to improperly discharging a firearm into a habitation.

“I understand what I did was wrong,” Kersey told Lawrence County Common Pleas Judge Charles Cooper. “I shouldn’t have done it. I wish things would never have led this far, but it did.”

Email newsletter signup

Cooper told Kersey what he had done was extremely dangerous and he should be thankful no one had been hurt.

Kersey will report to authorities Dec. 2.

In another case, Paul Waginger, 20, of 2329 Hamilton St., Ironton, admitted he violated his probation by testing positive for drug use. He was on community controlled sanctions for a drug-related conviction. Cooper sentenced Waginger to seven days in the Lawrence County Jail in addition to the five days he has already spent there. But Waginger will be allowed a brief furlough so he can register for college classes.

Cooper also ordered Waginger to continue his probation, including substance abuse treatment.

“Listen seriously to what I am advising you,” Cooper told Waginger. “Andy Thompson at the Family Guidance Center has done this kind of work for a number of years and he can be of great assistance to you if you let him. There are two kinds of people with a substance abuse problem. In the first group are people who think they can handle the problem on their own and don’t need help. The people in the second group are the people who admit they need help and realize they can’t do this alone. I hope you are in this group.”

Also Wednesday, Alvin Lewis, 36, of 95 Private Drive 2183, Chesapeake, pleaded guilty to domestic violence. Judge Scott Bowling sentenced him to four years CCS plus 30 days home confinement.

Nick Newman, 40, of 4523 County Road 15, South Point, was arraigned Wednesday on one count of theft from the elderly.

He is accused of taking money and building materials from his victim. He pleaded not guilty through his attorney, Derick Fisher. Cooper set a $25,000 own recognizance (OR) bond and ordered Newman to return to court in two weeks for a pretrial conference.