Pedro house destroyed by fire

Published 11:13 am Wednesday, October 15, 2008

ELIZABETH TOWNSHIP — An Elizabeth Township family is homeless after fire destroyed their State Route 522 home Tuesday afternoon.

“It appears it started in a bathroom ceiling light,” Elizabeth Township Fire Chief Dale Waugh. “They had a recessed light with a fan and it appears it have shorted out.”

Waugh said the house belonged to Margaret Matheny, who was home at the time of the fire. She managed to make it out of the house safely.

Email newsletter signup

The Elizabeth Township Fire Volunteer Department received mutual aid from Coal Grove, Decatur Township and Upper Township fire departments. Approximately 20 firefighters responded to the call with eight trucks.

Waugh said those who wish to donate to the Matheny family may contact the fire department at 532-5075.