Marshal clears cat of starting fire

Published 10:14 am Wednesday, February 11, 2009

BURLINGTON —The origin of the blaze that erupted Friday morning at the Division Street Apartments on Township Road 1335 has been ruled undetermined, according to Shane Cartmill, public information officer for the fire marshal.

“Investigators say careless disposal of smoking materials and other accidental causes have not been ruled out,” Cartmill said in an email. “There does not appear to be any criminal intent. Investigators say the fire originated on or near a sofa in the upstairs apartment.”

At the time of the fire William Edwards, a tenant, had thought that one of his three cats had chewed through electrical wires. A year ago, one of Edward’s cats had been electrocuted and killed after gnawing on computer cords.

Email newsletter signup

However that was not the case here.

“The cat chewing through an electrical cord has been ruled out as a possible cause,” Cartmill said.

No one was injured in the blaze that left six homeless. Firefighters from five local departments responded to the scene.