Explosion ruled accidental

Published 10:07 am Tuesday, February 24, 2009

PROCTORVILLE — An explosion at a camper along County Road 71 in Proctorville has been ruled an accident by the state fire marshal.

James Neff, 49, the occupant, received second and third degree burns from the incident and was hospitalized at Cabell Huntington Hospital.

The man “ awoke to the smell of fuel from a propane heater,” according to a press release from Shane Cartmill, public information officer for the fire marshal.

Email newsletter signup

“After going outside to turn off the fuel at the tank, he re-entered the camper and lit a kerosene lamp.”

With the build-up of fuel inside the camper, lighting the lamp caused the explosion.

Neff is in serious condition, according to Charles Shumaker, Cabell spokesman.