Drug trafficking lands man 22 months in prison

Published 10:08 am Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pot peddling will cost a South Point man 22 months of his future.

Robert P. Womack, 40, of 1014 Fourth St. E., South Point, pleaded guilty Wednesday to trafficking in marijuana and possession of criminal tools.

Judge Charles Cooper sentenced him to 11 months on each charge, to be served consecutively. However, if Womack stays out of trouble while he is behind bars, he could be eligible for judicial release after nine months.

Email newsletter signup

After that he would serve four years community controlled sanctions under intensive supervised probation. Cooper also suspended Womack’s driver’s license for six months.

In another matter, Laura Fisher, 20, of 1062 County Road 128, Ironton, admitted she violated her community control sanctions, also known as probation, by admitting to drug use.

Cooper ordered her to successfully complete a drug treatment program at Stepping Stones in Portsmouth. Cooper told her she should take this requirement very seriously.

“I must caution you that if you fail I will have no other choice but to put you in the state department of corrections,” Cooper said. “…This is your last chance to turn your life around.”

He refused a request to allow her out of jail until she is sent to the facility.

Fisher was convicted of forgery and receiving stolen property changes in 2006.

Charles Brown, 22, of 120 Lane St., Coal Grove, admitted he, too, violated his probation by getting arrested on a misdemeanor theft charge and testing positive for drug use.

Cooper sentenced him to 60 days electronically monitored home confinement. Brown was on probation for an earlier breaking and entering conviction.

Dianna L. Delawder, 43, of 1125 S, Eighth St., Ironton, was arraigned on one count of trafficking in drugs (Lorcet, a prescription pain medication).

She pleaded not guilty through her attorney, Mike Davenport. Cooper set bond at $15,000 cash or $25,000 property plus a $10,000 own recognizance bond. Delawder must return to court in two weeks for a pretrial conference.