Volquez staying on disabled list
Published 12:39 am Thursday, June 25, 2009
TORONTO — The Cincinnati Reds will have to make do without right-hander Edinson Volquez for a little bit longer.
The Reds had hoped that Volquez, on the disabled list since June 2 with tendinitis in his right elbow, would be able to resume throwing off a mound within the next couple of days. Those plans were put on hold Wednesday after an MRI last week revealed the inflammation in Volquez’s elbow has not subsided.
‘‘It’s probably going to take a couple more weeks to completely heal than we first had thought,’’ Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. ‘‘We were hoping to get him back around the All-Star break or a little before. Now it’s going to be a couple of weeks after that.’’
Jocketty said Volquez’s injury is not expected to require surgery.