Standoff case ends with dismissed, reduced charges

Published 11:02 pm Saturday, July 11, 2009

ROME TOWNSHIP — Two felony charges against a Rome Township man at the center of a four and a half-hour standoff in June with law enforcement were dismissed Friday morning in Lawrence County Municipal Court.

Dan Dial, 29, of 108 Fifth Ave., Rome Township, had faced charges of possessing a firearm with a disability, a third degree felony; and inducing panic, a fourth degree felony.

The dismissals were recommended by the Lawrence County Prosecutor’s Office, Assistant Prosecutor Mack Anderson said in court.

Email newsletter signup

Dial also faced a domestic violence charge, which is a first-degree misdemeanor.

The prosecutor’s office recommended that charge be reduced to disorderly conduct, a fourth degree misdemeanor.

On those recommendations, Judge Donald R. Capper imposed a 30-day jail sentence, which was suspended; a $75 fine; $100 court costs; a $25 probation fee; and a $12 sheriff fee. All charges were paid on Friday.

Dial was also placed on two years’ probation and sentenced to anger management and substance and alcohol treatment programs.

On June 16, Lawrence County Sheriff Jeff Lawless, sheriff’s deputies and the special response team of the Ohio State Highway Patrol responded to a 4:40 a.m. call at the Dial house.

There was allegedly a domestic violence and possible hostage situation at the address, Lawless said at the time.

At 6:30 a.m. Laura Dial and their two children left the house and went to a secured area set up by law enforcement.

After negotiation attempts failed, the agencies entered the house, finding Dial asleep in a bedroom. He was subsequently arrested.

Laura Dial appeared in court, but declined to make any comment, other than that she agreed with the prosecutor’s recommendations.

Dan Dial also did not make a comment in open court.

Mike Gleichauf represented Dial and said after the hearing that the couple had returned to living together as a family.

“The whole matter, I understand, was a result of a miscommunication,” Gleichauf said.