Electrical fire destroys house

Published 9:33 am Wednesday, September 2, 2009

CHESAPEAKE — An electrical fire starting near a breaker box has been determined to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a one-story frame house near Big Branch Monday evening.

The fire at 402 Fourth Ave. was discovered by two firefighters from the Chesapeake-Union Township Fire Department, which is near the house.

“Two guys at the station saw some smoke and walked over the hill and saw the fire,” Chief Brandon Best said.

Email newsletter signup

The department immediately started putting water on the residence and searched for occupants.

However, there was no one home at the time of the fire.

“It was well into the attic when they got there,” Best said.

Firefighters were able to salvage some of the homeowners’ personal effects.

There were no injuries and no smoke detectors in the home.

“Investigators say that, despite significant damage to the home, the fire department did a good job containing the fire and preserving the scene for subsequent investigation,” Shane Cartmill, public information officer for the State Fire Marshal’s office, said.

Proctorville and Fayette Township departments assisted.